The Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes, in Toledo, is one of the most spectacular works of Gothic architecture in Spain.
The building was commissioned by the Catholic Monarchs from Juan Güas in 1476, and he built one of the most beautiful temples in the city of Toledo and one of the best examples of the Hispano-Flemish Gothic style.
The church has a single nave with a rib vaulted roof and a star-shaped dome over the presbytery, a high choir and side chapels between the buttresses, with outstanding decoration on the transept and chancel. In the latter, the decoration scheme is on the basis of keel arches and the coats of arms of the Catholic Monarchs supported by eagles of St. John.
Through a small door, access is gained to the cloisters, a masterwork of Enrique Egas, made up four wings that open to a courtyard via large windows with flamboyant latticework, bordered by a frieze with animal and vegetable decoration. Notable in the upper part is the beautiful polychrome ceiling with a recurring decorative motif of the emblems, arms and initials of Isabel and Ferdinand in the Mudejar style.
The main façade has traditional Elizabethan decoration, formed by statues, blind arcades, pinnacles and balloons. Outstanding are the chains of the Christian prisoners freed by Fernando el Católico in the taking of Malaga and Baeza.
From Monday to Sunday, including Public Holidays, from 10am to 10pm (1st April to 31st October) or 10am to 6pm (from 1st November to 31st March).
The cloisters, the altar and its Renaissance altarpiece, the museum and the library.