The Alcázar of Toledo - one of the city’s symbols - already existed in the Middle Ages, although it was rebuilt by Alonso de Covarrubias in the 16th century.
The Alcázar of Toledo is one of the city’s symbols on the current site of the National Army Museum. It already existed in the Middle Ages, although it was rebuilt by Alonso de Covarrubias in the 16th century.
Its construction dates back to the Roman period. It was rebuilt during the reigns of Alfonso VI and Alfonso X el Sabio, becoming the first palace with a square shape and towers at the corners.
It was rebuilt again during the reign of Emperor Carlos, this time by Alonso de Covarrubias, after he had been named by the Emperor as his architect for the Royal Palaces of Seville, Madrid and Toledo. The works commenced in 1537 under the supervision of Prince Felipe, later Felipe II.
This building is quadrangular in shape with a central courtyard flanked by four square towers that project out.
The façades are different in style and period, the west is Renaissance, the east Medieval, with three cylindrical towers and a crenallated parapet walk, the north Plateresque and the south of the style of El Escorial, built according to plans by Juan de Herrera.
The building has been refurbished on several occasions, as it was destroyed by fires and also during the Civil War.
The new Army Museum, situated within the Alcázar, has just been opened. It occupies more than 8,000 square meters and shows military contributions to Spain's institutional, social, scientific and cultural progress. There are 20 permanent exhibition halls that house 6,000 funds, organized around the history of Spain. With space of history, thematic halls and archaeological remains of the palace.
After visiting the Alcázar, have a stroll through the streets of Toledo.